The action of recording (logging) the keys struck on a keyboard, often discreetly, so that the person using the keyboard is unaware that their activities are being observed is known as keystroke logging, also known as keylogging or keyboard capture. The person who is running the logging program can then obtain the data.
keylogger is most often used to steal passwords and other confidential information.
Even Microsoft has openly confirmed that the final version of Windows 10 features a built-in keylogger “to improve typing and writing functions.”
Types of keyLogger
There are two types of key-Logger
- Features that collect user information without relying solely on keyboard key presses can be added to software keyloggers.
- Some of these features include:
- logging of the clipboard The software can capture anything that has been copied to the clipboard.
- Logging on the computer screen. To collect graphics-based information, screenshots are taken.
- Capturing text in a control programmatically.
- Search engine queries, instant messenger talks, FTP downloads, and other Internet-based activities are all being recorded (including the bandwidth used).
- Typical Hardware Keylogger is a hardware circuit that is installed anywhere between the computer keyboard and the computer for keystroke logging.
- Hardware keyloggers have an advantage over software keyloggers in that they can start logging as soon as the machine is switched on.
- Hardware-based keyloggers do not require the installation of any software because they operate at the hardware level of a computer system.
- A hardware keylogger’s memory size can range from a few kilobytes to several terabytes, with each keystroke recorded typically consuming a byte.
- USB Drive
- Cable Through
An anti-keylogger is a piece of software specifically designed to detect keyloggers on a computer.
- One-time passwords (OTP)
- Security tokens
- On-screen keyboards
- Handwriting recognition and mouse gestures
- Deceptive typing
- Live CD/USB
- Step 1:
- Install software keylogger.
- Step 2:
- Open the software keylogger by pressing the following key. You can also change the key in settings. And Enter the password.
- Step 3:
- Main Dashboard will appear.
Functions of Keylogger
- After clicking on the Setting -> Monitoring tab following screen will appear.
- Make sure that all buttons are set to ON.
- We can also get the report from one system to another system.
- For that go to Settings-> Report Delivery.
- It is very helpful for a parent to control their child’s system.
- It captures how many and what we copy or pasted It generates a report and displays it on the clipboard screen
- It displays how many websites we visited with date & time.
- It displays the total screenshot taken by the user.
- It displays the applications that we had used.
- Display summary of user activities.
If we need any specific type of data then we can get it from Filter.